Infrastructure and Transportation
An Intergenerational Investment
Investing in the South Shore Rail Line will give us the opportunity to increase connectivity to Chicago, one of the world's largest economies. Since 1970, Lake County has experienced a decline in population and median income, and an increase in the median age. In order to reverse these trends, we must continue to recapitalize the existing South Shore Rail Line and expand its services. An investment in the South Shore Rail Line, in addition to investments in our lakeshore and our existing transportation infrastructure, including our roads, rails, and the Gary/Chicago International Airport, will create a foundation for economic success for the children and grandchildren of Northwest Indiana.
For more information:
- The Case for Rail
- The West Lake Corridor Project
- Data Dive: Where the U.S. grew and shrank in 2013 and shrank in 2013
- Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District response on use of diesel vs. electric
- West Lake Commuter Rail Extension Map
- Watch YouTube video about the South Shore Rail Expansion
- Cities as Countries Map
- National Journal Article "Nation's Future Depends on Cities, Not Washington"
- Lake County Facts sheet compiled from US Census by Indiana University Northwest
- Lake County Economic Trends Study, November 2013