Pete Visclosky proudly represents the First Congressional District of Indiana, which includes Lake, Porter, and parts of LaPorte Counties. Throughout his time in office, Pete has worked to improve the quality of life for everyone in Northwest Indiana by creating new job opportunities and attracting economic development to the region.
Pete is a leading advocate for major economic development projects in Northwest Indiana, including the recapitalization of the South Shore Rail Line, the Gary/Chicago International Airport, and the Marquette Plan, his lakeshore investment strategy. Pete is a member of the powerful Appropriations Committee and serves as Ranking Member on the Defense Subcommittee, where he works to protect America's fighting men and women on the battlefield and when they return home. As a member of the Energy and Water Subcommittee, Pete has also worked to support investment in our national infrastructure—ports, harbors, and waterways—as well as protect our nuclear stockpile and encourage investments in energy technology to confront the energy crisis and reduce our dependence on foreign oil. In addition, Pete is affiliated with the following caucuses:
- Congressional Steel Caucus (Vice Chairman)
- Congressional Buy American Caucus
- Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues
- Congressional Caucus on Hellenic Issues
- Congressional Caucus on India and Indian-Americans
- Congressional Caucus on Missing, Exploited and Runaway Children
- Congressional Dairy Farmers Caucus
- Congressional Diabetes Caucus
- Congressional Fire Caucus
- Congressional French Caucus
- Congressional Macedonian Caucus
- Congressional National Parks Caucus
- Congressional Serbian Caucus (Co-Chair)
- Congressional Slovak Caucus (Co-Chair)
- Friends of Switzerland Caucus
- Congressional Wine Caucus
- Congressional Wire and Wire Products Caucus
- Law Enforcement Caucus
Furthermore, Pete is a member of the Great Lakes Task Force.
Pete was born in Gary, Indiana, and graduated from Andrean High School in Merrillville. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Indiana University Northwest, a Juris Doctoris from the University of Notre Dame Law School, and a Master of Laws in International and Comparative Law from Georgetown University Law Center. Pete is married to Joanne Royce, and has two sons, John and Tim.